Gamma Iota Chapter History
The Gamma Iota chapter of Delta Sigma Phi had its beginnings back in April 25, 1950. The traveling secretary from the national office set up the Delta Sigma Phi Club at that time, which later was to evolve into our chapter.
At first, men living in Pine Hall comprised the Delta Sigma Phi Club. They had elected officers and conducted regular meetings to plan their admission into the Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity (become chartered). It might be added that during this time our pledge program also got its beginnings. The DSP Club sent out formal invitations to men on campus to become pledges in their organization.
On April 25, 1950, the Delta Sigma Phi Club passed a motion to petition the national headquarters for membership into the national fraternity. Plans for chartering then began. On May 10, 1950, the university’s Academic Council approved the establishment of a new chapter on campus. The charter for the Gamma Iota chapter of Delta Sigma Phi was granted on May 28, 1950.
Our fraternity began with 36 charter members; 21 members were from out of state and 15 were from Idaho. Our old house was at 804 Deakin, which used to be the old SAE house, and the Campus Cafe. In 1969 we bought the Kappa Alpha Theta house, our current house at 503 University, for $130,000 and have prospered and grown since then.
Delta Sigma Phi History
As the door closed on the final moments of the nineteenth century, a handful of undergraduate men began meeting between classes at City College of New York. Some had known one another before they graduated from the New York public school system, and they had wanted to continue their friendships at City College. The obvious solution was to join a fraternity, but there was just one problem: this was no ordinary group of undergraduates. They were an affiliation of Jews and Christians; and, at the time, entry to all-Jewish and all-Christian fraternities was barred to individuals and groups that mixed religions.
Given that their close association challenged the conventional behavior of the day, perhaps it was only natural that the undergraduates took an even bolder step by founding their own Fraternity on December 10, 1899. Symbolized by the Greek letters Delta, Sigma, and Phi, the Fraternity was based on the principle of the universal brotherhood of man.
Delta Sigma Phi was incorporated in New York City on December 2, 1902 with the stated objectives of dissemination “the principles of friendship and brotherhood among college men, without respect to race or creed.” The early organizers, including Meyer Boskey, also drafted Delta Sigma Phi’s laws, requiring open membership to all college men of quality. The purpose of the Fraternity, written the same year, was “to fulfill the desire of serious young college men for a fellowship and brotherhood, as near a practical working ideal as possible not fettered with too many traditional prejudices and artificial standards of membership, by a clean, pure, and honorable chapter home life.”
CHARLES G. BARTELL
Charles G. Bartell is a Gamma Iota alum who has been recognized for his distinguished service to the Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity as a Chapter Advisor.
First awarded at the 1985 Convention, the Charles G. Bartell Outstanding Chapter Advisor Award recognizes a Chapter Advisor or ACB member for exceptional service in advising or service to one of the Fraternity’s chapters or colonies. It was named at the first recipient, Charles G. Bartell, Idaho 1954, who served as Chapter Advisor to the Gamma Iota chapter (University of Idaho) for more than three decades.